CORNARO, the brother of Doge Giovanni Cornaro
(G-12) in the S. Polo line of his family's Cornaro della Regina
branch, received a degree in law from the University of Padua, 1571.
He then immediately became Abbot of S. Bona di Vidor in Trevignano.
His uncle Bishop Giorgio Cornaro (G-4) surrendered his post as bishop
of Treviso in Francesco's favor, 1578. As Bishop of Treviso, Francesco
fostered the seminary that his uncle Bishop Giorgio had founded there
following the third session of the Council of Trent.
resigned his seat at Treviso and removed to Rome, where he was elevated
to Cardinal, 1596, by Pope Clement VIII, becoming the sixth Cardinal
of the Cornaro family. His appointment as Cardinal furthered the Pope's
desire to mitigate the Spanish influence in the College of Cardinals,
but Cardinal Francesco died soon after. He is buried in the Church of
S. Silvestro al Quirinale.
the period from 1500 to 1789 nine members of the Cornaro family served
as Cardinal, for a combined total of 150 years of service.