CORNARO, son of Proc. Giacomo Cornaro (B-62/F-1)
was a member of the family's Cornaro della Regina branch in the
S. Maurizio line. He began his career in the Church at the improbable
age of 12 when he was invested with the abbey of S. Zeno. The timing
presumably resulted from the death of his uncle Cardinal
Patriarch Marco Cornaro (B-61), who previously held the abbey.
succeeded another Cardinal uncle, Cardinal Cav.
Proc. Francesco Cornaro (B-60), as Bishop of Brescia, 1532. Andrea
was elevated to Cardinal by Pope Paul III, 1544, shortly after the death
of Cardinal Cav. Proc. Francesco. In the tradition of the Cornaro Cardinals,
Cardinal Andrea was an adviser in Papal relations with Venice and the
Holy Roman Empire.
was the author of two pastoral works, De statu praelatorium and
De residentia episcoporum, and nine collections of his letters
were published (two in dialect and seven in latin). Petrarch dedicated
to him a Commentary (Venice, 1541). Cardinal Andrea also assisted
his brother Giorgio Cornaro (F-4) in construction
of the family's palace on the Grand Canal known as Ca'
Cornaro della Ca' Granda, a masterwork of the architect Jacopo
the period from 1500 to 1789 nine members of the Cornaro family served
as Cardinal, for a combined total of 150 years of service.